BruceArrington

Bruce's Reads

Moorehead Manor

Moorehead Manor - David McMullen-Sullivan Moorehead Manor Review

An Enjoyable Read.

(I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for my honest review).

The night before reading Moorehead Manor, I watched The Woman in Black, so my mind was already geared toward a horror story. I am pleased to write this review for a job well done. It was obvious that the author put in a lot of work and time to make this what I believe to be a successful story. The plot, characters, timing, and scope of the piece were well presented. The young people really shined, and I felt I knew them as real, living human beings. So often in stories that is simply lacking, but not in this case. The teens were actually believable. The setting was well-described, and it was also obvious that pains were taken to clearly narrate the scenes and how they made the story darker, more sinister, and more suspenseful. The other characters were also well-written and believable, and the author took his time in not hurrying through the events, but developing them thoroughly.
The only suggestion I would make is to get a professional edit. Examples: using toward vs. towards; the words “Momma, I hurt so badly” being five words (instead of four—“With those four words...); it was a Bicentennial for the state, not the country, etc... So often it is easy to breeze over these things because our eyes have seen them so often, but they do take away from the story. One suggestion might be to read everything out loud. However, those things did not diminish my thorough enjoyment of a tale about three teens who unwittingly become trapped inside a haunted house. I highly recommend this story.