BruceArrington

Bruce's Reads

Far from Home

Far from Home - J.H. Zaynor Fun YA Story

I score it 3.5 stars on Goodreads, and 4 stars on Amazon based on scale intent.

Far From Home is about Mara, a teenager who embarks on a fantasy adventure of swords, magic and love. Her life suddenly changes as she finds herself in another world, trying to understand what happened to her, and she begins to learn about her new found powers.

This book is a fun read, and Mara is a colorful character. Witty, adaptable and real, she feels like a normal teenager with all the sarcasm and backtalk to go with it. She is open to new things, falls in love, and bravely faces her destiny.

From a writing mechanics perspective, the story does need some professional editing. The transitions are the biggest challenge to the story, and there are scenes that could be combined with others because very little (or nothing) really happens during those short time periods that help to move the story along. This makes the story seem long at times, and the reader interest can drop.

However, Far From Home is still worthy of YA reader attention and I appreciate the imagination and creativity of the author.

The minor characters of the story really stand out, including the ‘bad guys’, who add spice and humor to the tale. The latter part of the book was my favorite part, where the mouthy monster was hilarious. I felt that part really shined. The book leaves the doors wide open to Mara’s next adventures.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest, nonreciprocal review.