BruceArrington

Bruce's Reads

Pink Water

Pink Water - James  Field I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest, nonreciprocal review.

The book “Pink Water”, by James Field, is an adventurous science fiction story. It is the second in a series, continuing with the adventures of the Cloud brothers, and others, finding our world in peril. The insects have laid a snare and the Cloud brothers find themselves having fallen right into it. The story continues with other various characters introduced, along with their own personal demons.

I have not read the first book, so I lacked any background on the previous story or its characters. That being said, I feel that this book truly can stand alone. Enough (but not too much) backstory was inserted so I gained a good handle for what had taken place, and how those earlier things affected the second book.

I appreciated how the characters were more the center of the story than the actual outcome. Their charming idiosyncrasies and faults painted them well as three-dimensional characters, and I thoroughly enjoyed the humor, particularly by Russell (my favorite character), helping the story to be a fun read.

And it was a fun read. Not bogged down in things I did not understand, but humorous, fast-paced and well developed. I also appreciated how most of the characters had to come face-to-face with their personal pasts and were given the opportunities to deal with them appropriately.

There are three things, which, I think can make for a better story. The first is where Fred talks about his dream. I had interpreted this as a foreshadowing and felt somewhat cheated when it didn’t turn out that way. It would be an easy fix to forecast events more according to what actually came about (more or less). The second thing would be to add more female characters, since all but one of the characters is male. This presents a lopsided story since it is so character driven. And last of all, the story needs a good proofreading by a professional. There were enough typos to pull me out of the story at times, and really get my attention.

However, the author provided a fun read I could understand without having to read the first book. I recommend this for all you sci-fi lovers out there who like fast-paced, humorous tales.