BruceArrington

Bruce's Reads

Boris and Bailey

Boris and Bailey - Cherokee Randolph I received a copy of this book for my honest, non-reciprocal review.

This was a sweet story, geared toward young children I would guess to be in the 6-8 year old range.

Boris, the main character, is a young rabbit who strikes out on his own before his siblings. He goes on to discover wonderful things in the new world around him, and he is wide-eyed with wonder. He meets friendly humans, the pet dog, his brother Bailey, and other members of his family.

The artwork presented is well done, detailed and colorful. It is obvious the artist put a lot of thought and care into each picture. The story flows smoothly and logically, and ends on a positive note. The small amount of apparent danger (from a coyote and snake) are never a real threat to the rabbits. There is never any questionable violence.

Picture books, especially for eBooks, present unique challenges for authors and artists. In my opinion, the placement of the pictures could be thought out better, as it seemed like at times they were presented too long after some of the scenes had been described. I would think that children would want to see the pictures as the narration progresses. The typeset could also be changed to include a larger eye-friendly font.

This could be a good bedtime story, as it can soothe a young mind as well as entertain. For those who love animals, they will find it to be a treat.